Protein-rich Diet (Liver-Shrinking-Diet)
Every patient who is preparing for surgical treatment of overweight should maintain a protein-rich diet. The diet should be started two weeks before the operation. Such a diet is characterized by a high protein content, low fat content and reduced carbohydrate content.
Reducing the glycogen stores in the liver leads to a considerable reduction in the size of this organ, which makes the surgical procedure easier for the surgeon. This makes the procedure safer and reduces the risk of complications during surgery. The protein-rich diet also leads to a reduction in body weight, mainly of fatty tissue, which improves the general conditions for a laparoscopic procedure to a great extent.
Principles of a protein-rich diet
1) The diet should have a low calorie value. Low-fat products without carbohydrates should be selected.
2) Reading the labels on food products helps in selecting appropriate products.
3) Lean meats (chicken, turkey), low-fat dairy products, fish, vegetables, selected fruits, groats and whole-wheat bakery products should predominate in the diet.
4) Meals should be prepared by boiling, steaming or frying without fat.
5) Meals should be eaten regularly three times a day. You should not eat to satiation. Drink low-calorie liquids
6) The quantities eaten should not exceed a volume of 200 ml.
7) Remember, extending the period between meals leads to a greater feeling of hunger. It is necessary to consume low-calorie drinks during this period.
8) Meals should be eaten slowly, every bite should be chewed thoroughly so that a feeling of satiation is reached more quickly. The principle of chewing meals thoroughly also applies without exception after surgery. For this reason, you should accustom yourself to eating in this manner.
9) No fluids should be drunk during meals. Persons who do not drink liquids during meals usually eat less.
10) Sweet carbonated drunks should be avoided because of their high sugar content.
11) Uncarbonated mineral water is the best drink. You should drink about 2 liters daily.
12) Alcohol is a very high-calorie drink and usually increases the appetite. For this reason, you should avoid drinking alcohol.
13) If you feel very hungry, eat a low-calorie snack: raw fruit, vegetables or low-fat dairy products (joghurt, kefir, low-fat milk).
14) Red meat and sweets should only be eaten occasionally or deleted from the diet altogether.
15) Meals should be varied, this is the only way to maintain the diet.
Foods can be classified into five groups:
1. Grain products
2. Vegetables and fruits
3. Dairy products
4. Mean, fish, eggs, legumes.
5. Vegetable oils
One portion of grain products consists of:
- Three tablespoons of cornflakes
- One slice of bread or toast
- One-half a roll
- Three crackers
- Two tablespoons of boiled rice or groats
- Three tablespoons cooled noodles
- One cookie
One portion of vegetables and fruits consists of:
- An apple, an orange, a small banana
- Two small kiwis, two plums, two mandarin oranges
- One glass of fruit juice without added sugar
- Two tablespoons of canned fruit
- One small bowl of salad
- A large piece of melon or pineapple
- A spoonful of dried fruit
- Half a boiled potato
- Three spoonfuls of vegetables
- Three dried cherries, plums or figs
One portion of dairy products consists of:
- A glass of milk
- 150 g joghurt
- 30 g yellow cheese
- 120 g low-fat quark
- 60 g low-fat yellow cheese
One portion of products from the group “meat, fish, eggs, legumes” consists of:
- 90 g chicken or turkey
- 150 g low-fat fish
- two eggs
- five tablespoons of cooked peas
- four tablespoons broad beans, lentils, or beans
One portion of products made of vegetable oils consists of:
- 15 g margarine or vegetable oil
ATTENTION:! The following methods for limiting fats and sugar in the diet, and examples of low-calorie snacks can be used in any diet.
Methods of limiting fat in the diet
- Bread should be spread with a thin layer of margarine or butter. The best thing is to leave it off completely.
- Buy only low-fat milk; best is milk with maximal 1% fat.
- Low-fat quark and low-fat joghurts belong in the diet. In this respect, it’s worth reading the labels on the food products.
- Consumption of yellow cheese should be limited to an absolute minimum or eliminated due to the high fat content. Keep an eye out for cheese with reduced fat content, if you want cheese.
- Foods should be prepared by boiling, steaming or grilling.
- Fat remaining after the preparation of foods should be thrown away. It should not be reused for gravies or to fry anything.
- Saucec should be prepared using joghurt tomato paste or lemon juice and a small quantity of vegetable oil.
- Low-fat sausages and low-fat poultry are preferred among meat products. Consumption of red meat should be limited to an absolute minimum.
- Bockwurst, packaged cheese, groat sausages, liverwurst and head cheese should be eliinated from the menu.
- Remove the skin when eating chicken, since this has a high cholesterol and saturated fatty acid content.
- Low-fat joghurt and low-fat milk should be used instead of cream.
- Remember that sweets and bakery products contain not only a large amount of sugar, but also fat.
- You should avoid breaded meats, since fat is easily absorbed by the breading.
Methods of limiting sugar in the diet
- Hot drinks like coffee or tea should be drunk without sugar.
- It is worth keeping an eye out in the market for natural fruit juices which do not contain additional sugar. As an alternative, make the juice yourself.
- No sweets and bakery treats should be eaten.
- Choose only whole-grain cornflakes without sugar.
The following low-calorie snacks can be consumed as an exception between meals if you feel very hungry:
1. Kefir, buttermilk, low-fat milk, low-fat joghurt; best are natural products without added sugar or fruit.
2. a few dried fruits, like dried cherries, plums or apples quickly curb the desire for something sweet
3. 50 g fish in aspik
4. raw fruits or vegetables, such as apple, orange, carrot, pepper, pickled or fresh cucumber, kohlrabi
5. One glass of vegetable boullion or vegetable juice
6. Half a glass of fruit juice with water
7. one boiled egg
8. two slices of coldcuts
9. small bowl of salad